A couple of weeks ago, WhatsApp made it’s messaging service available right in your desktop browser, albeit with a lot of restrictions. For one, it doesn’t work on iOS, but WhatsApp is passing the blame on Apple citing iOS limitations.
On the other hand, WhatsApp on the web only works on Chrome, leaving loyal users of Firefox in the dust. Fortunately, We have found a workaround so you can use WhatsApp Web on Firefox.
Greasemonkey does the job
- Download the Greasemonkey addon
- After restarting Firefox, a click on the little arrow next to greasemonkey icon besides the search bar and select ‘New User Script’.
- Type anything in ‘Name’ and ‘Namespace’ and in the ‘include’ box type https://web.whatsapp.com and click Ok.
- Open this website, copy the code and paste it in the previous Greasemonkey box and click save.
Disguise Firefox as Chrome
- Download the User Agent Overrider addon
- Go to it’s options in the Firefox Addons menu and below the #Windows line, copy and this and click ok.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.94 Safari/537.36
- User Agent Overrider icon will appear besides the search bar. Select Mozilla/5.0 from the list.
Viola! You now have the ability to open WhatsApp Web on Firefox. Many people do not know that WhatsApp web works on Opera, too as it has the underpinnings of Chrome due to being based on Webkit.
Until WhatsApp officially supports other browsers, you can use this hack to make it work on Firefox. So, did you encounter any difficulty? Let us know in the comments and we shall help.